Do you have a few pieces of jewelry that you were given and want to know their worth? Appraising gold jewelry is somewhat of a science and depends on a variety of factors. The following are a handful of ways that you can estimate their value in order to sell gold:
- Search online or visit jewelry stores for pieces that resemble your own. Once you have found a few that are comparable you’ll want to study their size, color, cut (if you are dealing with diamonds), and other features.
- Find a reputable jeweler to appraise your pieces. You can simply go to a jewelry store to have them cleaned and in the process ask for an appraisal. You may want to visit a few and then average out their appraisals.
- Discover their histories. In the case that your piece is a family heirloom, try to trace its history such as when it was bought, how much it was bought for at the time, the value of the brand, the background of the designer and more. This way you can have it appraised as an antique, which may have much for value than meets the eye.
- Educate yourself on precious metals and stones. There are all sorts of resources out there to help you discover the materials used to make up a piece of jewelry. Understand what makes them most valuable and evaluate your piece in relation.
- Weight may or may not be a factor. It has long been thought that the heavier an item, the more expensive. This isn’t always true. In fact, there are some amazingly light gold rings, necklaces and earrings that are fragile and ultra-expensive. Anymore one can’t really rely on weight as the final indicator of value.
- Learn how to determine a fake. Yes it’s true…there are many fakes out there including false gold, diamonds, emeralds and more. For instance, if you have a diamond without a single flaw, you probably have a fake on your hands.
- Track down the receipt. You make think it tacky, but you may want to ask you loved one for the receipt. This way you can keep it on hand in the case that an emergency arises and you need to sell jewelry for cash.
You may be appraising your jewelry for knowledge on how to sell gold sake alone or if your looking for a gold appraisal. Whatever the reasoning, we wish you luck!